The key thing when you learn a language is to start using it with other speakers once you have the basics covered. Don’t make the common mistake to think that it’s better to wait until you have a higher level.
The good thing about Esperanto is that even experienced speakers had to learn it at some point like you’re doing just now. Ekparolu! will simply put you in contact with some of them so that you can practise your Esperanto. It is not a lesson but a 1-to-1 conversation for 30mn with someone called ‘geonklo’ and you, as a student, are called a ‘genevo’.
Each session is different as it depends on the person you’re talking to of course but he/she will adapt to your level as the idea is to help you progress.
Note that it’s not for complete beginners so there is a language test you have to do when you register in order to check your level.
How does it work?
1) The sessions are done through Skype so if you don’t have it already on your computer/tablet/smartphone, download it from this page:
2) Register (“Registriĝi”) on Edukado.net:
(select “Ensaluti” if you already have an account)
3) Go to the main Ekparolu! page: https://edukado.net/ekparolu/prezento
Scroll down to the bottom of the page where you will see two orange buttons. Click on “Aliĝi kiel nevo/nevino”. You will then be asked some more information about yourself (your skype username, your native language, etc).
4) Go to “Miaj Studoj”: https://edukado.net/klerigejo/14?m=superrigardo
You will see a list containing five tests but you only need to do the first two:
- Unuaj paŝoj, klarigo
- Lingvaj testoj – solvu por fariĝi NEVO/NEVINO
You need to click on the first one, do it and then come back to the “Miaj studoj” page and do the 2nd one. For each test there are some documents to read which might or might not be useful for the test itself.
The first one is to make sure you understand how Ekparolu! works. You must answer all the answers of this test correctly.
The second one is a language test. You don’t have to answer all the questions correctly. It’s just to make sure that you are not a complete beginner.
5) Once the test done, send an email to Katalin (the admin) in Esperanto ( email@example.com ) to tell her that you have finished the test and would like to become a nev(in)o. Don’t forget to give her your username (“salutnomo”) so that she can find your account. She will confirm by email if you have been accepted or not.
6) Once you have been accepted in the program, you can book a session through this page:
(you might need to login (ensaluti) first – top right corner).
You should see this white cross:
Click on it to see the calendar with all the available 30-minute slots (in green). Click on one to see which geonklo is available for that slot. If you want to book the session, click on “Peti la sesion”.
Any questions? Feel free to contact us!